Take it one step at a time
- Tackle organizing tasks one small step at a time.
- If you haven't worn it in two years, get rid of it.
- Remove articles or recipes you want to save from periodicals and put them in a binder.
- Set up a space to open and sort the mail every day with a recycle bin nearby. Glance at it enough to know what it is, but don't read it. Toss, file or take action.
- Keep communication clear on what everyone else is doing, and when, by tracking schedules on a family calendar.
- At the end of each day, have everyone go around the house and collect all their "strays" and put their stuff back. Doesn't have a home? Create one or get rid of it.
Source: Organizing tips from the National Association of Professional Organizers, the Container Store, and Iorganizer Malia Hall:
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation. Please check our Community Rules for more information. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.