Rapist Brad Gutches faces 11 years in jail

Central Point man voices no regret for crimes during sentencing

An admitted but unrepentant rapist was sentenced Friday by a Jackson County Circuit Court judge to serve more than 11 years in prison for three forcible rape charges that stem from two separate victims.

Brad Gutches, 26, chuckled and smirked while appearing before Judge Ron Grensky.

The judge stated he had reviewed the case and read letters written by the victims before Friday's sentencing hearing.

Rape is akin to a sort of murder, Grensky said, adding that Gutches had inflicted great pain upon the victims and their families.

"This is a crime that reverberates across generations," Grensky said. "(The victims) will literally spend the rest of their lives trying to overcome what you have done to them."

Then Grensky asked the Central Point man if he had anything to say, if he was sorry.

Gutches crossed his arms across his chest, shook his head and laughed — expressing remorse only for himself.

"I'm definitely sorry I'm going to prison," Gutches said.

The sentencing hearing finalized a stipulated plea agreement reached in July between prosecutors and Gutches' two defense attorneys. Gutches admitted his guilt and waived his right to appeal, said Jackson County Senior Deputy District Attorney David Hoppe.

"These are Measure 11 crimes," Hoppe said. "These are the most serious charges that were filed. He will get no parole and no time off."

Gutches said he admitted guilt "just so I won't go to prison for 40 years."

"There's no evidence against me, just what the girls say," he said.

Grensky said Gutches was in "some kind of fantasy denial," as he handed down two 100-month sentences and approximately $5,000 in fines, fees and restitution.

"What has happened here is as bad as it gets," said Grensky

Gutches will serve a total 135 months — just over 11 years — in prison, with credit for time served. Per the agreement, 65 months of Gutches' sentences run concurrently.

Hoppe said the victims agreed to the terms of the plea agreement, and praised the second victim in the case for also coming forward.

"We wish beyond admitting to his guilt, (Gutches) would have exhibited some remorse, compassion or empathy for the victims," Hoppe said.

Gutches turned himself into Central Point police on May 28 after the agency issued a warrant for his arrest on charges of first-degree rape and two counts of second-degree sexual abuse. The charges stem from a case involving a 17-year-old girl Gutches met at a party, police said.

A second rape case against Gutches included four counts each of first- and second-degree rape and charges of first-degree sexual abuse and unlawful sexual penetration. Court records indicate the abuse happened in the summer of 2007. The second victim was 13 at the time of Gutches' arrest. Prosecutors said she had been assaulted over a two-year period. Gutches pleaded guilty to two counts of having forcible sexual intercourse with the younger victim. The remainder of the charges were dropped in the plea agreement.

Reach reporter Sanne Specht at 776-4497 or e-mail sspecht@mailtribune.com.

Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.