You overindulged during the holidays. We all do it. There are so many temptations, it's nearly impossible to resist the pleasure of seasonal treats.
But now you're looking in the mirror and wondering what it's going to take to get back into that swimsuit by vacation time. If you struggle with maintaining a healthy weight, and you haven't figured this out by now, listen up. Sustainable fat loss happens only one way: slow and steady, with exercise and healthy eating.
So, you had your fun. It's time to get the heart pumping, the fat burning and the metabolism humming. Here is a 10-minute cardio workout that anyone can have time for three or four times a week. If you're not already fit, start slow and work up to a more challenging routine by varying the time given for each move, or substitute easier moves like walking or marching in place. No excuses. What's 10 minutes out of your day?
1. Warm up with light cardio, such as marching in place or step-touch, as shown
2. Really use your arms to get your heart rate going.
1. Stand with legs wide, arms straight out to the sides, parallel to the floor
2. Bend right knee to a side lunge and bring left arm down to right foot
3. Repeat on right side. Increase intensity by lunging faster and lower
1. Jog in place or move around while pushing arms over your head. Bend knees, raising feet behind toward glutes.
1. Stand with feet together. Squat down with hands on the floor next to feet
2. With a thrusting motion, jump feet backward into a push-up position
3. Jump feet back to squat position and rise into a standing position. Repeat.
1. Jog in place or move around while pushing arms over your head. Bend knees, raising feet behind toward glutes
1. Do jumping jacks for 1 minute, using vigorous arm movements to increase intensity
1. Begin with feet together and jump up, moving feet out to the sides, landing in a low squat with arms in front
2. Jump up, bringing feet back together as in a slow jumping jack, swinging arms down, as shown
1. Slow it down with easy marching in place for 1 minute. Stretch gently and drink some water
2. Finish up with a big pat on the back — you did it!