As antioxidant-saturated nuts go, pistachios don't usually enjoy the acclaim of walnuts or almonds. But they get their day in this quiz.
1. An ounce of pistachios contains 13 grams of fat. How much of that is the so-called good fat that lowers LDL cholesterol?
a) 6 grams
b) 11 grams
c) 13 grams
2. A small study by researchers at the University of Texas' M.D. Anderson Cancer Center showed which vitamin present in pistachios can help to reduce lung cancer?
a) Vitamin B12
b) Vitamin B6
c) Vitamin E
3. An ounce of pistachios provides 20 percent of the daily value of vitamin B6. What major benefit does B6 have for the body?
a) Helps make amino acids that build body cells
b) Protects the body from harmful effects of toxins
c) Helps maintain the health of skin and mucus linings
4. A small study by Penn State researchers shows that pistachio consumption can reduce body inflammation. That's a major factor for which condition?
a) Kidney failure
b) Cardiovascular disease
5. In spring 2009, how many pounds of pistachios were recalled for suspected salmonella poisoning?
b) 1 million
c) 5 million
ANSWERS: 1: b (7 grams monunsaturated, 4 grams polyunsaturated); 2: c; 3: a; 4: b; 5: b
Sources: usda.gov; www.thegreennut.org; calorielab.com.