Soda Mountain Wilderness hikes begin this weekend
The Soda Mountain Wilderness Council's spring and summer hikes begin this weekend with a rugged four-mile trek from Jenny Creek rim to Iron Gate Reservoir, but many others in the lineup are considered easy or moderate.
Each hike will be led by a professional or an experienced amateur naturalist. Participants are asked to bring lunch, snacks, water, rain gear, sun protection and sturdy shoes or boots (depending on the difficulty of the hike). Most hikes involve at least a little off-trail hiking. All hikes are free and usually involve carpooling.
- Saturday, May 29: Extremely rugged, cross-country, 4-mile-plus hike from Jenny Creek rim to Iron Gate Reservoir with National Park Service ecologist Dennis Odion. Meet at 8:30 a.m. Call 541-552-9624 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for meeting location. Route likely will include creek-crossing. Participants should bring good boots and extra wading shoes. Shuttle provided.
- Saturday, June 5: Five-mile-loop hike along Scotch Creek in California's Horseshoe Wildlife Area with longtime SMWC board member and former backcountry ranger Susan Menanno. Moderate. Meet at 9 a.m. Call 541-951-7467 or e-mail email@example.com for meeting location.
- Saturday, June 12: Easy or moderate hike of less than four miles on the Pacific Crest Trail from Porcupine Gap to Babbitt Gap with ornithologist Pepper Trail. Meet at 8:30 a.m. Call 541-482-9594 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for location.
- Sunday, June 13: Three-plus-mile, round-trip hike-and-scramble from the Jenny Creek Canyon rim to Jenny Creek Falls with National Center for Conservation Science and Policy aquatic ecologist Brian Barr. Meet at 9 a.m. Call 541-621-7226 or e-mail email@example.com for location.
- Saturday, June 19: Moderate, four-mile hike on Greensprings Mountain with Sierra Club hike leader Cathy Edwards and National Park Service botanist Sean Smith. Meet at 3 p.m. and bring a sack dinner. Call 541-210-0204 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for meeting location.
- Saturday, June 26: Three-mile, cross-country scramble through Fredenburg Meadow down in the Jenny Creek Canyon with Southern Oregon University aquatic ecologist Michael Parker. Meet at 9 a.m. Call 541-552-6796 or e-mail email@example.com for meeting location.
- Saturday, July 3: Moderate, four-mile hike in the Greensprings Mountain unit with Edwards and terrestrial ecologist and SMWC board member Evan Frost. Meet at 3 p.m. and bring a sack dinner. Call Edwards at 541-210-0204 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for meeting location.
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.