Earthquakes in our area
Western Oregon and far northwestern California may not be a hotbed of major earthquake activity, but it has been shaken plenty in recorded history.
Here are some earth shakers that have impacted the region, according to the U.S. Geological Survey and the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries records:
- Nov. 22, 1873 — A strong earthquake in Del Norte County, Calif., causes chimney damage as far north as Port Orford and east to Jacksonville.
- Oct. 12, 1877 — Tremor apparently centered in the Cascade Mountains damages chimneys in Portland.
- Feb. 3, 1892 — Buildings sway and terrified people rush into Portland streets during earthquake felt from Astoria to Salem.
- April 2, 1896 — Three shocks in succession awaken everyone in McMinnville and are felt in Portland and Salem.
- April 19, 1906 — Quake awakens resident of Paisley. Three additional shocks follow within 11/2; hours.
- May 18, 1915 — A sharp local earthquake rattles dishes, rocks chairs and causes some fright in Portland.
- April 14, 1920 — Three quakes are felt at Fort Klamath. The center is believed to be near Crater Lake.
- Jan. 10, 1923 — A strong shock felt in Lakeview causes plaster to fall in Alturas, Calif.
- July 15, 1936 — Quake near state line between Milton-Freewater and Walla Walla, Wash., cracks the ground about five miles west of Milton-Freewater. Chimney damage, cracked walls and broken plaster are reported in the community. Aftershocks continue until Nov. 17.
- Dec. 29, 1941 — Quake shatters a downtown display window and knocks out other windows in Portland.
- Dec. 15, 1953 — Quake in Portland cracks chimneys, breaks plaster and damages fireplace tiles.
- Nov. 16, 1957 — Salem residents are frightened by quake that cracks plaster walls and rocks houses.
- Aug. 18, 1961 — Magnitude 4.5 shock is felt in Albany and Lebanon, chimneys topple and walls crack.
- May 26, 1968 — Series of earthquakes near the Oregon-California border continue daily through June 11. Magnitude 4.7 tremor is felt on June 3.
- March 25, 1993 — Magnitude 5.6 quake near Scotts Mills is the largest in Oregon's recorded history.
- Sept. 20-21, 1993 — Magnitude 6.0 and 5.9 quakes in Klamath Falls set new tremor record for Oregon. Thousands of aftershocks follow.
- April 28, 1999 — Magnitude 3.8 quake rocks Christmas Valley.
- Nov. 28, 1999 — Quake 14 miles northwest of Klamath Falls registers magnitude 3.4.
- March 16, 2000 — Magnitude 5.1 quake is registered 20 miles northeast of Crescent City.
- June 30, 2004 — Magnitude 4.4 tremor is recorded just southeast of Lakeview.
- July 22, 2004 — Magnitude 4.3 quake is recorded southeast of Lakeview.
- Oct. 7, 2004 — Magnitude 3.5 tremor is recorded southeast of Lakeview.
- Nov. 16, 2004 — Another magnitude 3.5 quake is recorded southeast of Lakeview.
- July 11, 2007 — Magnitude 3.3 quake is recorded southwest of Canby.
- Feb. 26, 2009 — Magnitude 4.1 quake is recorded northwest of Grants Pass.
- Jan. 2, 2010 — Magnitude 3.6 quake is recorded southeast of Maupin.
- July 3, 2010 — Magnitude 3.1 tremor is recorded west of Grants Pass.
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.