Everybody knows blueberries are antioxidant superheroes, fending off those evil oxygen-derived free radicals that can take possession of every body. A new study now touts blueberries as a bone-builder, too. Take our quiz on this versatile fruit.
1. In a study funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Arkansas researchers found what chemical compound in blueberries that might help promote bone mass and prevent osteoporosis?
a) polyphenol acids
b) polyesteric acids
c) polyamoric acids
2. What is most noticeable about polyphenols in blueberries?
a) gives the berry its rounded shape
b) gives the berry its tangy flavor
c) gives the berry its dark coloring
3. How many calories are in one cup of blueberries?
4. How many of those calories come from fat?
5. Those seeking a higher-fiber diet should eat blueberries. One cup provides what percent of the recommended daily value for fiber?
ANSWERS: 1: a; 2: c; 3: c; 4: a; 5: b.