Hospitals were ready when victims arrived

But efforts to save the family were in vain

Rogue Valley Medical Center prepared for a disaster when patients suffering from stab wounds and overcome by smoke from a west Medford fire were transported to the emergency room Monday morning.

A father, Jordan Criado, and his four children were transported to RVMC. The mother, Tabasha Paige-Criado, was taken to Providence Medford Medical Center.

"There is a lot going on when you get five critically ill patients arrive within a few minutes," said Dr. Ken Buccino, medical director of the hospital's emergency room. A disaster team immediately formed before the patients arrived by ambulance, similar to the kind of operation set up for wildland fires.

"We did activate an incident command system," said Grant Walker, hospital spokesman. "We did not know how many people were coming in."

Other hospital staffers were alerted that they might be needed in the emergency room, Walker said.

Buccino said 20 hospital personnel, including doctors and nurses, worked on the patients for up to an hour and a half.

"We needed extra front-line staff to take up to six patients," he said. Buccino said typically about 10 people staff the emergency room.

Without speaking specifically about Monday's patients, Buccino said it is not uncommon in smoke inhalation cases to continue cardiopulmonary resuscitation and to use breathing machines. Buccino said he had sufficient staffing to deal with the situation.

Medford police Chief Tim George said he sent an officer to the hospital.

"He told me he'd never seen the ER at RVMC so busy like that," George said.

Reach reporter Damian Mann at 541-776-4476 or email

Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.