Carroll Marie Brown was born in Atlanta, Ga., December 15, 1917, to Harry L. Brown and Effie Garrett, both of North Georgia. Her mother died of tuberculosis when Carroll was seven years old. Her father remarried two years later.
Miss Brown attended high school in Atlanta and Athens, Ga., graduating from Athens High School in the class of 1935. She attended the University of Georgia, and then Iowa State
College where she received a bachelor of science in food sciences in 1940. She was a member of Kappa Delta Sorority and served as functions hostess in the Iowa State chapter. She
remained a life member of Kappa Delta for 76 years. During her college years she had
occasion to dine at the White House as her father was Assistant Secretary of Agriculture in Franklin Roosevelt's second administration.
In 1940, she married Garner Tripp "Bud" Haupert, of Glidden, Iowa, in Knoxville, Tenn. The couple moved to the West Coast that year, where they settled in Portland, Ore. Bud re-uped for the United States Navy after Pearl Harbor, and the couple were stationed in Farragut,
Idaho. Mrs. Haupert worked for Dupont Company in Hanford, Wash., in an outpatient clinic at the time the company was involved in activities tied to development of the atomic bomb. In October 1945, following V.J. Day the couple moved back to Portland with son, Garner Tripp Haupert Jr., who was born on the base. The couple's second son, Frederick Lowrance, was born in Portland. In 1949, the Haupert family moved to Southern Oregon where they lived one year in Table Rock Estates, on the banks of the Rogue River's Hardy Riffle.
In 1950, they moved to Medford, Ore., settling on Valley View Drive in 1956. Mrs. Haupert was active civically: president of the Roosevelt Elementary School Parent Teacher Association, P.T.A. chairperson of Hedrick Junior High School, board member of Southern Oregon Public Televison (KSYS) for ten years, serving as chairperson in her last year; member of the Medford 549C school board for five years, chairing the board in her last year which saw the opening of North Medford Senior High School. Mrs. Haupert was a charter member of the Westminster Presbyterian Church, serving as hospitality chairman for many years. She was a member of the board of the Rogue Valley Art Association, a member of PEO Chapter CG for 60 years, and a member of the Eastern Star and Daughters of the Nile for 50 years. She was a volunteer for the Rogue Valley Medical Center at its inception, and president of Haupert Tractor Company. She hosted numerous social events at her home, related to charities and her sons' academic and social activities in Medford schools.
She is survived by her son, Garner Tripp Haupert Jr., M.D. and his wife, Marion Haupert,
of Littleton, Mass.; her granddaughter, Sibylle Frederique Haupert, and fianc, Coleman Brown, of Seattle, Wash.; her grandson, Mallory Mathieu Haupert, and his wife, Tina Haupert, of Weymouth, Mass.; her stepgrandsons, T.J. Blackburn, Greg Blackburn and his wife, Jen Blackburn; her beloved nieces and nephews, William Benson, M.D., Carolyn Mencke
Gabrielson, Judith Benson Lanier, Diane Benson Werner, and Raymond Edward Mencke Jr.; as well as numerous great and great-great nieces and nephews.
A memorial service will be celebrated at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 2000 Oakwood Dr., in Medford, at 2:00 p.m., Friday, December 9, 2011. In lieu of flowers, Mrs. Haupert preferred a charitable donation in her name to the Macular Degeneration Foundation, Inc., P.O. Box 531313, Henderson, NV 89053; or the Committed Alliance to Strays (CATS) P.O. Box 56,
Medford, OR 97501. Interment will be at Wesley Chapel Cemetery, Rabun Gap, Ga., nearby the ancestral family farm.