Rankings for hard-cover books sold in Southern California, as reported by selected book stores:
1. "The Sense of an Ending," by Julian Barnes. A middle-age retiree re-evaluates his mediocre existence.
2. "Calico Joe," by John Grisham. An estranged father-son relationship set against the backdrop of major league baseball.
3. "Catching Fire," by Suzanne Collins. Hunger Games winners face the consequences of their victory.
4. "The Wind Through the Keyhole," by Stephen King. Roland Deschain recalls strange stories from his gunslinger days.
5. "Sacre Bleu," by Christopher Moore. Vincent Van Gogh's Parisian artist friends seek the truth behind his untimely death.
6. "Darth Vader and Son," by Jeffrey Brown. A comic reimagining with the Dark Lord as a doting father.
7. "Mockingjay," by Suzanne Collins. No one is safe in the final installment of the "Hunger Games" trilogy.
8. "Rules of Civility," by Amor Towles. A year in the social life of three twentysomethings.
9. "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection," by Alexander McCall Smith. Precious Ramotswe investigates goings-on at an orphanage.
10. "Unholy Night," by Seth Grahame-Smith. The "Three Wise Men" as murderous thieves help Joseph, Mary and Jesus escape to Egypt.
1. "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake," by Anna Quindlen. The author and journalist reflects on marriage, mothers and feminism.
2. "Wild," by Cheryl Strayed. A woman-on-the-verge embarks on an 1,100-mile solo hike on the Pacific Crest Trail.
3. "Drift," by Rachel Maddow. The MSNBC host argues that America has lost control of its national-security policy.
4. "Imagine: How Creativity Works," by Jonah Lehrer. A scientific exploration of the creative process.
5. "Prague Winter," by Madeleine Albright. The former secretary of State recounts her harrowing youth in Europe during WWII
6. "Go the F—to Sleep," by Adam Mansbach. A comical not-for-kids picture book on the perils of bedtime.
7. "The Power of Habit," by Charles Duhigg. Understanding habits and how they can transform our lives.
8. "A Natural Woman," by Carole King. A memoir from the songwriter and singer.
9. "The Presidents Club," by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy. The dynamics between sitting presidents and their predecessors.
10. "Subliminal," by Leonard Mlodinow. How the unconscious mind shapes our experiences and interactions with the world.