Grand jury finds White City man justified in fatal shooting

A Jackson County grand jury took 10 minutes to determine that a White City grandfather acted in self defense when he fatally shot a man who was trying to push into his home on Aug. 20.

The grand jury today heard testimony from three witnesses and Jackson County sheriff's Detective Eric Fox. They also heard 911 recordings.

They learned that Mark Corsbie, 49, had been seen by neighbors on Andrea Drive running around the area acting in a bizarre manner, Jackson County Senior Deputy District Attorney Karen Loomis said in a news release.

Callers said Corsbie appeared to be under the influence of drugs and was saying he was being chased by gang members, Loomis wrote.

A neighbor testified that she was outside getting ready to leave for work when Corsbie approached her. He said he was being chased and needed help. She gave him some water and then called 911 to report the encounter, according to Loomis.

Emergency dispatchers also received a call from Corsbie's daughter, who said she was looking for her father. She said Corsbie had been acting paranoid that day and claimed people were chasing him.

She told a dispatcher that to let officers know "he's meth'n."

Meanwhile, Corsbie had made his way to the home of Norman Thomas, 66, who lives on Andrea Drive with his 40-year-old daughter Kristina Thomas and her 12-year-old son.

Kristina Thomas and her son spoke with Corsbie as he approached their property, Loomis said in the release.

She sent her son inside to call 911 to get Corsbie medical assistance.

During that conversation, the dispatcher asked Kristina Thomas to ask Corsbie if he was on drugs or any medication. Corsbie is overheard saying he is taking a drug used to treat schizophrenia.

Corsbie then asked Kristina Thomas to let him into the house. She refused, and a struggle ensued.

She could be heard fighting with Corsbie and yelling, "Stop! Stop!" Loomis wrote.

Norman Thomas heard the commotion outside and opened the door. Thomas described Corsbie as having a "crazed wild eyed look" in his eye as he charged into the home.

Norman Thomas then fired one shot from his Ruger .357. The bullet travelled through Corsbie's hand and tore into his lower throat, severing an artery.

Corsbie staggered into the yard and died at the scene, officials said.

Urine that was collected from Corsbie showed that he had methamphetamine, methadone and Oxycodone in his system at the time of the shooting, Loomis wrote in the news release.

Fox testified that blood evidence at the scene showed Corsbie had been shot inside the home, Loomis wrote.

The investigation revealed that Corsbie had previously been diagnosed with paranoid-schizophrenia.

— Chris Conrad

Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.