• White City man cleared in fatal shooting

    Grand jury decides quickly that home intruder was killed in act of self-defense
  • A Jackson County grand jury took 10 minutes Wednesday to determine that a White City grandfather acted in self-defense when he fatally shot a man who invaded his home on Aug. 20.
    • email print
  • A Jackson County grand jury took 10 minutes Wednesday to determine that a White City grandfather acted in self-defense when he fatally shot a man who invaded his home on Aug. 20.
    The grand jury heard testimony from three witnesses and Jackson County sheriff's Detective Eric Fox. It also heard 911 recordings.
    It learned that 49-year-old Mark Corsbie — who had several drugs, including methamphetamine, in his system — had been seen by neighbors on Andrea Drive running around the area and acting in a bizarre manner, Jackson County Senior Deputy District Attorney Karen Loomis said in a news release.
    Callers said Corsbie appeared to be under the influence of drugs and claimed he was being chased by gang members, Loomis wrote.
    A neighbor testified that she was outside getting ready to leave for work when Corsbie approached her. He said he was being chased and needed help. She gave him some water and then called 911 to report the encounter, according to Loomis.
    Emergency dispatchers also received a call from Corsbie's daughter, who said she was looking for her father. She said Corsbie had been acting paranoid that day and claimed people were chasing him.
    She told a dispatcher to let officers know "he's meth'n."
    Meanwhile, Corsbie had made his way to the home of Norman Thomas, 66, who lives on Andrea Drive with his 40-year-old daughter, Kristina Thomas, and her 12-year-old son.
    Kristina Thomas and her son spoke with Corsbie as he approached their property, Loomis said in the release.
    She sent her son inside to call 911 to get Corsbie medical assistance.
    During that conversation, the dispatcher asked Kristina Thomas to ask Corsbie if he was on drugs or any medication. Corsbie can be heard on the 911 tape saying he was taking a drug used to treat schizophrenia.
    Corsbie then asked Kristina Thomas to let him into the house. She refused, and a struggle ensued.
    She could be heard fighting with Corsbie and yelling, "Stop! Stop!" Loomis wrote.
    Norman Thomas heard the commotion outside and opened the door. Thomas described Corsbie as having a "crazed wild-eyed look" in his eye as he charged into the home.
    Norman Thomas then fired one shot from his Ruger .357. The bullet travelled through Corsbie's hand and tore into his lower throat, severing an artery.
    Corsbie staggered into the yard and died at the scene, officials said.
    Urine that was collected from Corsbie showed that he had methamphetamine, methadone and Oxycodone in his system at the time of the shooting, Loomis wrote in the news release.
    Fox testified that blood evidence at the scene showed Corsbie had been shot inside the home, Loomis wrote.
    The investigation revealed that Corsbie previously had been diagnosed with paranoid-schizophrenia.
    Loomis said Norman Thomas is a retired U.S. Air Force serviceman who has no criminal history. She also said Thomas had never fired the .357 prior to the incident.
    The grand jury was advised on what constitutes self-defense, according to Oregon law.
    The law permits the use of deadly force if someone is committing or attempting to commit a home burglary or a felony involving the use or imminent threat of harm against another.
    The potential victim is justified to use deadly force in these incidents, Loomis wrote.
    Reach reporter Chris Conrad at 541-776-4471 or email cconrad@mailtribune.com.
Reader Reaction

    Events Calendar