Apply now for matsutake mushroom permits
Harvesting privileges are available in Klamath and Modoc national forests
Permits to gather matsutake mushrooms in the Medicine Lake Highlands regions of Klamath and Modoc national forests are now available, according to a news release.
Those wanting to pick for four consecutive days can harvest up to eight gallons with a $20 permit. For those wanting harvesting privileges that span a month, permits are $50 and allow up to 20 gallons. Those wanting a permit for an entire season pay $100 and can harvest up to 40 gallons.
Mushroom harvesting is also allowed without a permit at up to one gallon a day per person. Those under 18 years of age must be supervised by an adult.
Permits issued for the Klamath National Forest are not valid in the Modoc National Forest, and vice versa.
Permits are available at the following locations and times Monday through Friday:
- Happy Camp/Oak Knoll Ranger District, Happy Camp, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 530-493-2243 for more information.
- Salmon/Scott River Ranger District, Fort Jones, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 530-468-5351 for more information.
- Goosenest Ranger District, Macdoel, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 530-398-4391 for more information.
- Doublehead Ranger District, Modoc National Forest, Tulelake, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 530-667-2246 for more information.
- Big Valley Ranger District, Modoc National Forest, Adin, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 530-299-3215 for more information.
For more information, visit www.fs.usda.gov/klamath or www.fs.fed.us/r5/modoc.
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.