Flue fire prompts warning

A chimney fire at 9:21 p.m. Thursday in the 500 block of Garfield Street brought a four-engine response from Medford Fire-Rescue, but firefighters were able to keep the blaze from spreading to other parts of the home.

Battalion Chief Brian Fish said it's a good reminder for area residents to get their chimneys checked and to clean out any creosote buildup as the colder fall months roll in. The buildup can catch fire if it's heavy enough.

"It creeps up on people fast this time of year," Fish said.

The Garfield Street fire was knocked down in about five minutes, but firefighters stayed on scene checking the attic.

This is a key concern in chimney fires, Fish added, as cracks in the chimney can allow the flames to spread further into the home where it's difficult to access. This should also be monitored and repaired if needed.

Fire officials recommend getting the chimney cleaned twice a year.

"If people do it on a regular basis, it's pretty simple," Fish said.

Officials also added using drier wood creates less buildup than green wood. — Ryan Pfeil


Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.
COUPON OF THE WEEK