A chimney fire at 9:21 p.m. Thursday in the 500 block of Garfield Street brought a four-engine response from Medford Fire-Rescue, but firefighters were able to keep the blaze from spreading to other parts of the home.
Battalion Chief Brian Fish said it's a good reminder for area residents to get their chimneys checked and to clean out any creosote buildup as the colder fall months roll in. The buildup can catch fire if it's heavy enough.
"It creeps up on people fast this time of year," Fish said.
The Garfield Street fire was knocked down in about five minutes, but firefighters stayed on scene checking the attic.
This is a key concern in chimney fires, Fish added, as cracks in the chimney can allow the flames to spread further into the home where it's difficult to access. This should also be monitored and repaired if needed.
Fire officials recommend getting the chimney cleaned twice a year.
"If people do it on a regular basis, it's pretty simple," Fish said.
Officials also added using drier wood creates less buildup than green wood. — Ryan Pfeil