Veterans Day events schedule
The Rogue Valley celebrates Veterans Day with a variety of events on Sunday, Monday and beyond. Here's a list:
- Pancake breakfast: American Legion Post 14 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 353 will host their annual pancake breakfast from 7 a.m. to noon Sunday, Nov. 11, at Pioneer Hall, 73 Winburn Way, Ashland. There will be pancakes, ham, scrambled eggs, coffee, tea and juice. The cost is $6, $3 for children 6 to 12 and free for kids 5 and younger. Call 541-482-9441.
- SORCC celebration: The Department of Veterans Affairs' Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center and Clinics will host a Veterans Day celebration from 10 a.m. to noon Sunday, Nov. 11, in the facility's theater, 8495 Crater Lake Highway, White City. There will be speakers from the offices of U.S. Rep. Greg Walden and Sen. Ron Wyden.
A flag-folding ceremony will be presented by the 186th Army Infantry Honor Guard, and the Rogue Valley Symphonic Band will perform tribute music. Refreshments and veterans' services information will be available. Admission is free. Call 541-830-7585.
- Eagle Point parade and breakfast: Eagle Point Mayor Bob Russell, the high-school band, a color guard and others will parade from Ashpole Community Center to Veterans Park at 11 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 11. Breakfast will be offered from 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the Eagle Point Senior Center, 121 Loto St. Pancakes, sausage, ham, scrambled eggs, juice, coffee and milk will be available. The cost is $5, free for veterans. Call 541-826-9404.
- Central Point memorial: The annual Oregon Fallen Heroes Memorial will be at 9 a.m. Monday, Nov. 12, in Don Jones Park on Hamrick Road. The event will feature patriotic music by bagpipers Don and Becky Saraceno, and Leah Rozette will sing the national anthem. Boy Scouts Troop 109 will present a flag-raising ceremony, and there will be speeches by Christopher Petrone, a program director at SORCC, and retired Marine Corps Col. David Dotterrer. Call 541-840-1983.
- Medford parade: Veterans' groups and service organizations will parade from Hawthorne Park to Main and Mistletoe streets in Medford at 11 a.m. Monday, Nov. 12.
- "In Praise of Freedom." The Southern Oregon Concert Band will present a concert of patriotic and fall-themed music at 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 12, at the Medford Armory, 1701 S. Pacific Highway. Admission is $5. Call 541-708-0365. The show will kick off at 6 p.m. with an hour of '40s big-band music played by The Jazz Men, directed by Ray Holtz, and there will be plenty of room for dancing.
- Veterans tribute: World War II veterans, young men and women serving in the armed forces, families and friends will pay tribute at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 13, at Rogue Valley Manor, 1200 Mira Mar Ave., Medford. Call 541-245-7574.
- Cards and letters for vets: Thank the men and women serving our country with a card or letter when Rogue Community College offers letter-writing sessions from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 14, in Room 127 of the RCC/SOU Higher Education Center, 101 S. Bartlett St., Medford, and from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Table Rock campus, 7800 Pacific Ave., White City. Call 541-245-7574.
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation. Please check our Community Rules for more information. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.