Residents escape Shady Cove fire

A fire caused by a faulty woodstove forced a family to evacuate from a 62 Erickson Ave. home in Shady Cove Sunday night, but firefighters put out the blaze before it could spread beyond the attic.

"Fire crews made entry and made an aggressive attack and stopped the fire in its tracks," said Brandon Mitchell, battalion chief for Fire District No. 3.

A mother, father and their son escaped, apparently without injuries. Fire District No. 4 found a temporary place for the family to stay for the night.

Sheetrock from the ceiling had to be pulled down to prevent the fire from spreading, Mitchell said.

He said that power likely will be restored to the house by tomorrow. The fire didn't appear to damage the roof, Mitchell said.

The call came in at 8:23 p.m. Saturday, and a Shady Cove engine was first on the scene at 8:31 p.m., Mitchell said.

Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.