Firefighters save cat in Ashland blaze

Firefighters' quick response late Sunday to an Ashland apartment fire proved to be the life-saving difference for Zephyr the cat.

Aside from Zephyr, no one was home at the apartment in the 100 block of Lincoln Street when the blaze broke out, said Dave Hanstein, captain for Ashland Fire & Rescue.

"The cat was a little scuffed up and a little smoked up, but we got it resuscitated," Hanstein said. "We just put an oxygen mask on him and he perked right up."

He said the cat was found unconscious inside the home and was close to death when firefighters scooped him up in a box and carried him to safety.

No other injuries were reported, Hanstein said.

The fire, which blew a window out of the ground-level apartment, was burning actively when fire crews arrived and took about 30 minutes to knock down, he said.

The apartment is part of a two-story duplex, he said. The top story was vacant.

A pair of AFR engines and two engines from Jackson County Fire District No. 5 responded to the scene at 11:46 p.m., Hanstein said.

The fire is believed to have originated on a windowsill in the dining room area, he said, though noting the investigation is continuing.

The flames were contained to the dining room, Hanstein said, but the apartment suffered heavy smoke damage.

The top-story apartment was not damaged, he said.


Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.
COUPON OF THE WEEK