Editor's Note: A new inspection-scoring system for food facilities went into effect in September after the state of Oregon adopted the 2009 Food and Drug Administration Food Code. Jackson County health inspectors still use the same criteria for evaluating restaurants, focusing on measures that prevent foodborne illness and subtracting points for violations. However, low-priority items — while noted — no longer count against a restaurant's overall score, effectively increasing the likelihood that an establishment can log a perfect score.
Jackson County health inspectors evaluated 122 restaurants in December. All passed their semiannual inspections, and 59 received perfect scores of 100. All scores are published in weekly portions in the Mail Tribune.
The following restaurants received perfect scores of 100:
- Mountain Meadows, Ashland;
- Mrs. Q's, Medford;
- Noble Coffee, Fourth Street, Ashland;
- Noble Coffee, East Main Street, Ashland;
- Oregon Cabaret Theatre Inc., Ashland;
- Pangea, Ashland;
- Peerless Restaurant, Ashland;
- Providence Medford Medical Center, Medford;
- Purple Parrot No. 7, White City;
- Porters, Medford;
- Real Deal Cafe, Medford;
- The Red Lunch Box Express, Eagle Point;
- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Rogue Valley Mall, Medford;
- Rogue Regional Medical Center food-service department (basement), Medford;
- Rogue Valley Pretzel Maker, Medford;
- Roxy Ann Bakery, Medford;
- Ruby's, Ashland;
- Starbucks Coffee Co. No. 444, Biddle Road, Medford;
- Starbucks Coffee Co. No. 443, Center Drive, Medford;
- Subway, Walmart, Eagle Point;
- Tabu, Ashland;
- Tacos Mi Tierra, Medford;
- Talent Food & Friends Meals, Talent;
- Tasty Thai Restaurant, Medford;
- Thai Bistro, Medford;
- Tim's Backyard BBQ, Medford;
- Tot Restaurant, Ashland;
- Yogurt Hut, Ashland.
The following restaurants received passing scores of 70 points or higher:
- Adam's Deli & Catering, Medford — 95;
- Agave, Ashland — 97;
- Alex's Plaza Restaurant & Bar, Ashland — 97;
- Angelo's Pizza Parlor, Medford — 95;
- Aramark Jackson County Jail, Medford — 92.
Inspectors subtract points for violations of "priority" and "priority foundation" items, which include: foods maintained at improper temperatures, improperly cooled or reheated; not properly protected from contamination, from unapproved origins, unsafe, adulterated or not honestly presented; not date-marked or discarded upon expiration; raw animal foods improperly cooked; presence of rodents or insects; inadequate personal hygiene; failure to clean and sanitize food equipment; lack of an approved water system; toxic chemicals or cleansers not properly stored, used or labeled.
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.