|
|
|
MailTribune.com
  • Pretrial hearing in Sanchez case set for March 11

  • What happened in the case against Christian Sanchez? The last thing I read, he was being held on $1 million bail and was charged with dozens of sex crimes. The initial story ran in late October of last year. Sanchez was supposed to have a pretrial hearing in November. But I haven't seen anything in the newspaper about this case since.
    • email print
  • What happened in the case against Christian Sanchez? The last thing I read, he was being held on $1 million bail and was charged with dozens of sex crimes. The initial story ran in late October of last year. Sanchez was supposed to have a pretrial hearing in November. But I haven't seen anything in the newspaper about this case since.
    — Jack R., Medford
    Christian Alexander Sanchez, 20, remains in the Jackson County Jail on $1 million bail, facing allegations that he met more than a dozen teen girls online, sent them explicit nude photographs, and sexually abused at least three of them, according to police.
    Sanchez is facing 27 charges, including nine counts of first-degree sex abuse, four counts of third-degree sex abuse and two counts each of third-degree rape, using a child in a display of sexually explicit conduct and online corruption of a child.
    Sanchez is being represented by a court-appointed public defender, Christopher Massaien. His January trial was postponed, and he has a March 11 pretrial hearing scheduled, court records show.
    Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said at the time of Sanchez's arrest the investigation against him had been going on for months.
    Police seized Sanchez's phone during an investigation and found nude pictures of underage girls, along with evidence that he had sent them nude and explicit photographs of himself.
    Investigators say Sanchez was involved with more than a dozen girls between the ages of 13 and 16. Detectives believe he engaged in sexual activity with at least three underage girls — all from Southern Oregon.
    Sanchez was engaging in what's commonly known as sexting, Budreau said.
    Court records show separate charges of online sexual corruption of a minor and telephonic harassment against Sanchez were dismissed in May.
    Police said the current charges all stem from summer of 2011 to April of 2012.
    Send questions to "Since You Asked," Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by email to youasked@mailtribune.com. We're sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.
Reader Reaction
      • calendar