OSP will take old ammo

I have a few boxes of shotgun shells that have sat in my garage for more than two decades. They are probably worthless at this point. I don't want to throw them in the garbage. What are my options? Is there a place in Jackson County where I can take old ammunition where it will be disposed of properly?

— Bob L., Medford

Boy, these days it seems like people are a lot more interested in acquiring ammunition than in getting rid of it. Nevertheless, we commend you, Bob, for not being careless with those aged shells. Even though your ammunition is old, that doesn't mean it can't be dangerous in the wrong hands.

The good news is that you can take your ammunition to the Oregon State Police office in Central Point.

It will then be disposed of by the OSP bomb squad.

Medford police take inquiries from time to time from people looking to rid themselves of unwanted ammunition, Lt. Mike Budreau said.

"We usually refer them to OSP's bomb squad," Budreau said.

Medford police will accept a small amount of ammunition if you take it to the agency headquarters in Medford City Hall, however, it is easier for everyone if you drop it by OSP headquarters in Central Point.

The OSP command center is at 4500 Rogue Valley Highway (Highway 99) in Central Point, near Crater High School.

Send questions to "Since You Asked," Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by email to youasked@mailtribune.com. We're sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.

Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.