Allmendinger tries out car for Penske at Sebring Raceway

SEBRING, Fla. — A.J. Allmendinger wasn't trying out for a job so much as trying out a race car for his former employer at Sebring International Raceway on Tuesday.

But the end result could be the same.

After losing his job driving for Penske Racing's Sprint Cup team last year because of a drug suspension, the 31-year-old acquitted himself well in his return to open-wheel racing after a seven-year absence, team officials said.

And he will be entered in his first Indianapolis 500 in the car on May 26 if sponsorship is secured.

"We're not really testing A.J. We're letting A.J. test the car and the program and if we run a third car, it's going to be with him," Penske president Tim Cindric said. "Our initial plan would be to try and run him at Indy."

The team chose to use Allmendinger over Ryan Briscoe, who drove Penske's third car from 2008 until last season.

Cindric said the plan calls for Allmendinger to test the car again at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama in March and then enter the race there on April 7.


Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.
COUPON OF THE WEEK