|
|
|
MailTribune.com
  • Vehicle seized as investigation into drive-by shooting continues

  • Police have seized a vehicle they believe was used in a west Medford drive-by shooting last week, but no suspects have been arrested.
    • email print
  • Police have seized a vehicle they believe was used in a west Medford drive-by shooting last week, but no suspects have been arrested.
    Medford police received an anonymous tip following the Feb. 20 shooting, pointing authorities to the location of a maroon Jeep Cherokee, matching the description of a vehicle that fled the scene of the shooting, Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said.
    The shooting happened at 11 a.m. near the corner of Summit Avenue and West Main Street. Witnesses reported two men inside a Jeep Cherokee were talking to a man walking on West Main Street. After a brief conversation, the men inside the vehicle opened fire. The man being shot at fled, then the Jeep sped away. Witnesses reported seeing it driving on Washington Street.
    A bullet from the shooting shattered a window at a nearby home and police retrieved it as evidence. No one was hurt in the shooting.
    Following the anonymous tip, police at 1 a.m. Feb. 21 went to a home in the 100 block of Elm Street in Medford where Martin Derbigny, 22, was staying, Budreau said. Police already had warrants for his arrest on past drug, weapons and DUII charges.
    "We questioned him, but he refused to answer questions," Budreau said, adding Derbigny wasn't arrested on charges related to the shooting, only on the warrants. Derbigny has since posted bail.
    Budreau said police seized two rifles and three handguns from the residence along with the Jeep Cherokee.
    The case is still under investigation. Investigators are searching for the man the suspects opened fire on and believe he might know his assailants.
    "We believe this was not random," Budreau said. "We're suspicious it could involve some illegal activities on both ends."
    — Ryan Pfeil
Reader Reaction
      • calendar