Flue fire fills home with smoke

A flue fire inside a home on Niantic Street in Medford briefly shut down the street Tuesday afternoon.

Medford Fire-Rescue crews were called to the home at around 2:20 p.m. after a resident there saw flames shooting out of the chimney atop the one-story home.

The house quickly filled with smoke, prompting the resident to flee out the front door.

Fire crews arrived and entered the home, finding heavy smoke pouring from a woodstove inside, said Medford Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Ron Nelson.

"Fortunately, the fire was kept to the flue and didn't move into the walls," Nelson said.

Firefighters doused the woodstove with water and carried it into the driveway.

Additional firefighters climbed onto the roof to check the chimney.

Medford police shut down a portion of Niantic Street as fire engines lined the street.

Nelson said the home sustained smoke damage.

Flue fires were once a common occurrence in Medford, Nelson said.

"We used to have three to four of them per day before the word got out about flue maintenance," Nelson said. "Now, these woodstoves and other heating appliances are built well enough that we don't see a lot of these fires."


Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.
COUPON OF THE WEEK