A small but "stubborn" fire kept Medford Fire-Rescue crews busy for four hours overnight Saturday in the 2000 block of Pembroke Circle, Battalion Chief Brian Fish said.
All the occupants got out safely and no one was injured in the fire, which was reported at 1:46 a.m. Saturday at 2432 Pembroke Circle, near Holmes Park in northeast Medford. It started outside near the trash bins and spread into the single-story house either through vents to the attic or an external window, Fish said. A discarded cigarette is suspected as the cause of the fire, but that has not yet been confirmed as the investigation is continuing, Fish said.
The fire spread into the insulation in the attic, Fish said. Four engines and support vehicles and about 15 personnel knocked the initial blaze down quickly, but burning insulation kept crews busy until nearly 6 a.m., he said.
Most of the damage was contained to a bedroom, he said. A cost estimate was not yet available.