A Medford man suspected of calling in a bomb threat against the south Medford Walmart now faces more charges after police said they linked additional threats to him and found evidence he was using the subsequent evacuations as a cover for thefts.
Donald Lee Anderson, 43, is lodged in the Jackson County Jail, charged with two counts each of first-degree disorderly conduct and initiating a false report, first-degree theft, improper use of 911 and a parole violation. He was arrested Thursday and was held without bail as of Friday afternoon.
Anderson was charged with disorderly conduct and initiating a false police report following an unsubstantiated bomb threat at the Walmart at 1360 Center Drive, Medford, on Tuesday night. Since then, police took a closer look at that incident and threats the store received in May and June.
By reviewing video surveillance as well as other evidence, police discovered Anderson had stolen property from Walmart both before and during this week's bomb threat, a media release said today. The stolen property included two laptop computers, a DVD player and a phone card. All of the property, valued at a total of $1,265, was recovered, investigators said.
Police determined that Anderson also was likely responsible for the two other bomb threats made to the store on May 11 and June 18, the release said. Police suspect the motivation for those crimes was also to commit theft but said they were unable to prove it.