July 18, 1913

A special session of the grand jury was convened this morning and concluded its labors before the noon hour, returning true bills against Le Roy Copland, William Keller and C.P. McGuire for uttering forged checks and a true bill against E.D. Smith for child stealing. All of the defendants appeared before the grand jury and entered pleas of guilty and upon arraignment before Judge Calkins each entered pleas of guilty and waived the time for sentencing.

Copland, Maguire and Keller were each given indeterminate sentences of from two and twenty years in the state penitentiary, but upon the recommendation of the district attorney and others were placed upon parole, conditioned upon good behavior and their total abstinence from intoxicating liquor. Smith was given a sentence from one to twenty years, with the recommendation that the prison authorities investigate his mental condition.

Judge Calkins stated that there had so far been but one violation of his parole and that in that case the party had been apprehended and was now serving his full sentence. in every other instances the paroles granted were working out satisfactorily and the persons on parole were earnestly trying to become useful citizens.

The grand jury was adjourned until October 20, there being no other persons confined in jail to await their action.


A Boston Terrier belonging to Mrs. Bob Fitzsimmons, wife of the pugilist, who is rifling a theatrical engagement here, was killed today by Dr. J.L. Helms, city veterinarian, after observation had convinced him that it was afflicted with rabies.

The animal, which was highly pedigreed and a valuable animal, was brought down with the troupe from Portland two days prior, yesterday began snapping at people and showing other suspicious symptoms. Dr. Helms was called, confined the dog, found it suffering from rabies and killed it.

This is the first case of rabies in Southern Oregon. The dog had been kept in the rear of one of the hotels and so far as known had not bitten any other animal. The infection probably occurred in Portland, where two men died this week from rabies and several dogs have been found afflicted.

Mayor Eifert at once ordered that all dogs in the city be kept muzzled or tied up at home, as it is not known whether the affected animal bit other dogs or not.

Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.