PHOENIX — No one was hurt in a two-alarm fire that burned through the entryway and portions of the eaves and attic in a Phoenix house late Thursday.
Crews from Jackson County Fire District No. 5 responded to the blaze, reported at 8:52 p.m. in the 100 block of South B Street, with three engines. When they arrived, crews saw flames coming from the front entry and roof.
"At that point, we decided to upgrade it to two alarms," said Capt. Tony Halley.
Engines from Medford Fire-Rescue and Ashland Fire & Rescue joined District 5, bringing seven vehicles.
Southern Oregon Red Cross officials said a family of five, along with three pets, lived in the house, which was believed to be a rental.
Fire officials said all the people and pets made it out safely, but there were initial concerns that some pets were still inside.
"There were quite a few people," Halley said.
Fire officials said it took crews about eight minutes to get the flames under control, and they cut holes in the roof to vent smoke. Crews remained on scene for hours afterward to make sure the fire didn't reignite.
"This was just a matter of checking for extension in the walls and the ceiling," Halley said.
In addition to fire damage to the eaves, entry and attic, the house suffered smoke and water damage throughout. Halley said he doesn't believe the structure is a total loss, but a damage estimate has not yet been established. The fire remained under investigation Friday, but fire officials said it doesn't appear to be suspicious in nature.
Southern Oregon Red Cross officials said they helped provide lodging, food, clothing and comfort kits for the displaced household.
Reach reporter Ryan Pfeil at 541-776-4468 or email@example.com.