New fees could be coming to several county departments
There could soon be new fees attached to several services performed by numerous Jackson County departments.
The new fees under consideration extend to services in the county's assessor's, development services, roads and surveyor's departments. County officials also plan to eliminate some fees on services no longer offered by the county's animal control and health and human services departments as well as small equipment usage fees at the Medford airport. Increases and decreases to several existing fee amounts will also be considered.
Jackson County's Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing on the adjusted fees at its Wednesday public meeting, held at 9:30 a.m. at the Jackson County Courthouse Auditorium, 10 S. Oakdale Ave., Medford.
At the public hearing, the proposed fees and their potential benefits will be discussed.
"And, if so, what percentage of that should be borne by the individual requesting the service," said deputy county administrator Harvey Bragg.
The public hearing will also address a modification to Jackson County's ordinance on fees that would allow county officials to adopt new fees every six months instead of annually.
"We still only plan on doing it once a year," Bragg said.
The board will also vote on a proposal to establish the new rates. Bragg said new fees are considered every year.
"We review everything," he said. "This is just a normal course of action."
Proposed new fees
- Animal Control — Engraved pet ID tags ($7)
- Assessor — Tax lot consolidation fee ($102), open space application ($238), open space disqualification ($278), urban renewal setup ($2,995)
- Development Services — Custom map creation ($112)
- Finance — Tax refund check reissue ($19)
- Health — Traveling vaccine ($30 or $45 per group)
- Roads — Application due date extension ($25), sidewalk repair permit ($160)
- Sheriff — Records entry for other agencies ($50)
- Surveyor — Certification of survey records ($35), survey records subscription service ($1,200), vacation of all public ways ($369), cemetery plat filing ($220), cemetery plat checking ($1,100 to $1,400)
Proposed deleted fees
- Airport — Conference room equipment (was $2 to $5)
- Animal Control — Humane trap rental (was $17)
- Health — Home assessment (was $70), initial assessment (was $55) and telephone visit (was $31). These will be billed as part of the Oregon Health Plan.
- Nutritional counseling (was $67) and topical fluoride application (was $15). Both are no longer offered due to staff reductions.
— Ryan Pfeil
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation. Please check our Community Rules for more information. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.