A hay barn caught fire Saturday about 4:40 p.m. on Beall Lane in Central Point and was considered a total loss, but no injuries were reported.
Jackson County Fire District No. 3, Medford Fire-Rescue, the Oregon Department of Forestry, Pacific Power, and the Jackson County Sheriff's Department responded to the fire at 3134 Beall Lane.
District 3 sent three engines and ODF sent a helicopter to the scene, said District 3 Battalion Chief Rod Edwards.
Fire officials suspect that a trailer moving hay may have sparked a flame that caused the fire.
With temperatures in the mid-90s and afternoon winds picking up, the fire could have been much worse, said Edwards. "Fires like this throw up a huge thermal column," he said. "We are afraid that ash and hot embers will blow with the breeze and start a fire somewhere down the road."
In the rural neighborhood at Old Stage Road and Beall Lane, hot embers and ash drifted onto some surrounding properties.
Edwards advised surrounding neighbors to hose down gutters, gardens, decorative landscaping and shrubbery to prevent any residual fires.
Eric Mosser, who lives across the street from the barn, said a large ember landed in his field, but he was able to put it out with a hose.
"There were flames 15 feet above the trees in the front yard," he said. "I came out here immediately and checked the roof and started hosing down the plants outside."
Reach Mail Tribune intern Amanda Barker at 541-776-4368 or at email@example.com.