A teenager was bitten by a baby rattlesnake on Sunday while playing down by the Applegate River, fire officials say.
The boy spotted the "timber rattler," which had not yet grown its tell-tale rattles, tried to pick it up, and got chomped on the finger by the upset snake, said Applegate Fire District Capt. Greg Gilbert.
"He knew it was a rattler when he saw the two puncture marks in his finger," said Gilbert.
Rescue personnel were called Sunday afternoon and transported the youth to Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center for treatment, he said.
Gilbert said the boy appeared to be doing well during the incident, adding "timber rattlers" are not as venomous as other pit vipers such as diamondbacks or cottonmouths.
"We have a lot more time (to seek treatment)," Gilbert said. "But they can sure do a lot of tissue damage."