|
|
|
MailTribune.com
  • Morning fire near Southern Oregon University quelled

    • email print
      Comment
  • A two-alarm fire in Ashland brought pajama-wearing residents into the street in a neighborhood above Southern Oregon University this morning, but firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it caused major damage.
    Twenty firefighters and command staff from Ashland Fire & Rescue, along with Jackson County Fire District #5, responded to reports of a fire at 588 Elkader St., which is off Ashland Street near SOU's Science Building, at 8:52 a.m.
    The fire was reported to be burning in the attic of the home, and when fire crews arrived the homeowner was attacking the fire with a hose from outside.
    Firefighters had to access the attic from inside and tear into the roof from the outside to completely extinguish the fire, said Battalion Chief Dana Sallee, incident commander at the fire.
    The blaze started where a stove pipe exited a wall and went through the roofing to the chimney. There was damage to items stored in the attic and smoke damage in the home. No injuries were reported.
    “As the cold weather sets in, it's really important for residents to inspect all heating sources to make sure they are well maintained for the winter heating season,” said Sallee.
    — David Smigelski
Reader Reaction

      calendar