Crews knock down early Ashland fire

Ashland Fire & Rescue firefighters fight an attic fire on Elkader Street Saturday morning in Ashland. Mail Tribune / Julia MooreJulia Moore

Atwo-alarm fire in Ashland brought pajama-wearing residents into the street in a neighborhood above Southern Oregon University Saturday morning, but firefighters extinguished the blaze before it caused major damage.

Twenty firefighters and command staff from Ashland Fire & Rescue, along with Jackson County Fire District #5, responded to reports of a fire at 588 Elkader St., which is off Ashland Street near SOU's Science Building, at 8:52 a.m.

The fire was reported to be burning in the attic of the home, and when fire crews arrived the homeowner was attacking the fire with a hose from outside.

Firefighters had to access the attic from inside and tear into the roof from the outside to completely extinguish the fire, said Battalion Chief Dana Sallee, incident commander at the fire.

The blaze started where a stove pipe exited a wall and went through the roofing to the chimney. There was damage to items stored in the attic and smoke damage in the home. No injuries were reported.

"As the cold weather sets in, it's really important for residents to inspect all heating sources to make sure they are well maintained for the winter heating season," said Sallee.



Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.
COUPON OF THE WEEK