ASHBURN, Va. — Mike Shanahan said he has no plans to resign, then reminded everyone that he might not be back as coach of the Washington Redskins.
He then cryptically offered a picture of the possible changes that might be in store if he does return. He dropped Gary Kubiak's name twice, stoking questions that there might be a new offensive coordinator. He also said that Robert Griffin III is "clearly" the starting quarterback but would welcome "legitimate competition" from Kirk Cousins.
Just another day in the world of the Redskins.
Shanahan said Monday it was "accurate" that he doesn't plan to quit after what will be his third losing season in four years. The Redskins (3-11) have lost six straight, and the coach has one year remaining on his five-year, $35 million contract.
However, he reiterated that his fate won't be determined until he and owner Dan Snyder meet at the end of the season and discuss their views about the direction of the franchise.
"All we can do at the end of the season is communicate," Shanahan said. "And I think we have that type of relationship where we can talk and be honest to each other."
One possibility is the Shanahan returns with a new set of coordinators. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett could surely be on the bubble, given the way the defense has performed, but a change on the other side had seemed improbable because the coach's son, Kyle Shanahan, is the offensive coordinator.
Yet Kyle Shanahan last week sounded like someone pitching himself for a new job and expressed annoyance that people "always put an 's' on the last name of the 'Shanahans'" when discussing the Redskins, a first possible hint that the father-son experiment had run its course.
Mike Shanahan gave a rambling answer Monday when asked about his coordinators and mentioned Kubiak, who was the coach's longtime offensive coordinator with the Denver Broncos and who is out of work — having been recently fired by the Houston Texans.
"It doesn't matter if Gary Kubiak is my offensive coordinator, Mike Heimerdinger, Jim Haslett — a coordinator's a coordinator," Shanahan said. "They've got a job to do. And they're going to do it. If they don't do it, then the chances are they're not going to be a coordinator for long. That has nothing to do with anybody in particular. But they've got some autonomy there in relative to their position, if it's Jim, if it's Kyle — obviously I get involved with all the football matters, and I will be heavily involved on both sides."
Mike Shanahan also named Kubiak and Haslett as examples of people who might have connections to the people who have leaked various stories about the Redskins in recent weeks.
The playoffs may pay off for Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, even from the sideline.
Incognito will remain on the NFL's suspended list with pay for the rest of the season, including the playoffs, a person familiar with the situation said Monday.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the bullying scandal that led to Incognito's suspension remains under investigation. The person said Incognito would be in line for a playoff share.
Coach Joe Philbin declined to comment, but the Dolphins released a one-sentence statement saying the team and Incognito had agreed to "maintain his suspension" during the investigation. Incognito's agent didn't respond to requests for comment.
The veteran guard is in the final year of a contract with a 2013 base salary of $3.5 million, or $220,588 per game.
Incognito was suspended Nov. 3 in the wake of the bullying scandal. He filed a grievance Nov. 14 against the Dolphins seeking to rejoin the team, but later withdrew it.
Rex Ryan's tenure as coach of the New York Jets could be in its final weeks.
Keep Rex or Fire Rex? Well, that depends on who you ask.
There's one guy, though, who thinks the Jets already have the right man to lead them beyond this season.
"Of course, I believe it," Ryan said Monday. "No question, I believe it. There's no doubt, but again I'd rather get out of this press conference and go to work. That's how I feel about it."
Fans and media have taken to sports talk radio and social media with a mixed bag of opinions ranging from wanting to see Ryan get a contract extension to hoping for a coaching staff shake-up.
The Jets (6-8) clinched a third straight non-winning season — their first such stretch since 1994-96 — with a 30-20 loss at Carolina on Sunday, and needed Baltimore to lose at Detroit on Monday night to stay alive in the playoff picture. Mistakes, uneven play by rookie quarterback Geno Smith, injuries to key players on offense and some questionable decisions have all added up to another season of struggles.
Then again, very few outside of the team expected even this much from the Jets this season.
Ryan was by no means campaigning for his job, preferring at first to dodge questions by saying he doesn't think about his situation until reporters bring it up. But, a little of the coach's confidence reappeared when he was asked why he believes he should be back.
"Look, I'm a competent guy, even though I know that will be questioned a zillion times forward and backward, whatever, that's fine," he said. "But I know I'm a good football coach. I believe in this team. I believe in this organization and I'm determined to bring a winner to this team, there's no question about it."
Ryan has gotten no indication from his bosses about his future, and neither owner Woody Johnson nor general manager John Idzik has spoken publicly about whether the coach will be around next season. That has led to increasing speculation that Ryan could be coaching for his job during these last two weeks.