Candle fire in east Medford extinguishes itself

A candle ignited a fire in a bathroom at 3308 Wheat Ridge Drive in east Medford on Sunday afternoon, but the flames burned through a water line that leaked out, dousing the blaze before it could cause more damage.

Medford Fire-Rescue responded with four engines at 2:24 p.m., but the fire was pretty much out when they arrived.

"It's still a mess in their house, but it could have been a lot worse," said Battalion Chief Ken Goodson.

He estimates repairs could approach $10,000 because of the smoke and water damage.

The homeowners had left the house for a few hours and a candle caught the bathroom cabinet on fire. "It burned through the cabinet, and the sink fell through," Goodson said. "It melted through the valves and water started spraying and put the fire out."

— Damian Mann


Reader Reaction
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form. New comments are only accepted for two weeks from the date of publication.
COUPON OF THE WEEK