|
|
|
MailTribune.com
  • Antique cars survive Medford house fire

  • A manufactured home burned to the ground in south Medford early Saturday, but firefighters were able to save a garage adjacent to the house where a pair of restored Model-A Fords were being housed.
    • email print
    • More online
      See a video take at the scene of the fire at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhdlaAvO48
      » Read more
      X
      More online
      See a video take at the scene of the fire at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhdlaAvO48
  • A manufactured home burned to the ground in south Medford early Saturday, but firefighters were able to save a garage adjacent to the house where a pair of restored Model-A Fords were being housed.
    Firefighters responded to the structure fire at 4:48 a.m. in the 1000 block of Shafer Lane, said Brian Fish, battalion chief with Medford Fire-Rescue.
    "When they arrived on scene, there was a fully involved mobile home," Lane said.
    Nobody was inside, and no injuries were reported, Lane said, but a cat that lived in the house is missing.
    "The neighbors were taking care of her cat. The cat we haven't located, so we don't know if it perished," Long said.
    Three engines from Medford Fire-Rescue and one engine from Jackson County Fire District No. 5 responded to the blaze, Long said, adding a second alarm was pulled, but additional crews were turned around when the incident commander arrived on scene and determined firefighters could not save the structure.
    Firefighters arrived on scene seven minutes after the call came in, and "it was up in flames by the time they got there," Long said.
    Neighbor Sean Jankowski, 37, said the commotion from the fire engines woke him up earlier than he is used to, and he came out the front door yelling at firefighter to "quiet down" until he realized there was actually a house on fire.
    "There were fire trucks all over the place. I looked out the front door and they were running back and forth as fast as they could ... I couldn't see the fire from there."
    Jankowski's son, 15-year-old Adrian Jankowski, filmed the blaze with the his smartphone camera.
    Adrian Jankowski had been up late with his friends Jesse Parrish, 15, and Shane Carico, 15, battling a green slime-vomiting, flaming web-shooting demon spider queen on the video game "Diablo III."
    "I saw the lights when the first firefighters got here," Adrian Jankowski said. "I walked outside and they (firefighters) just started putting it out."
    Sean Jankowski said one fire engine knocked over his mailbox attempting to maneuver around the narrow dead-end street, but firefighters replaced the mailbox after the blaze was extinguished.
    "I am just glad nobody was hurt. ... I think they are an elderly couple," Sean Jankowski said. "It's sad."
    Reach reporter Sam Wheeler at 541-776-4471 or swheeler@gmail.com. Follow him on Twitter @MTwriter_swhlr.
Reader Reaction

      calendar