The Oregon men's basketball team will reportedly add 6-foot-6 freshman forward Brandon Austin, a top-50 recruit last year who was suspended this season at Providence.
ESPN first reported on Tuesday that Austin was expected to join the Ducks and enroll in school for the current term.
He is not eligible to play for Oregon this season and will likely have to sit out next fall as well before taking the court for the Ducks. He is expected to be eligible starting in December and then have three full seasons of eligibility.
Austin did not play in an official game for the Friars, although he had 13 points, five rebounds, two assists, and two steals in 27 minutes during an exhibition game against Rhode Island.
The Philadelphia native decided to leave the Friars last week and was released from his scholarship by coach Ed Cooley.
"We wish Brandon success with his basketball career and his academic future," Cooley said in a statement.
Austin and teammate Rodney Bullock were both suspended indefinitely before the season for "not upholding their responsibilities as student-athletes.", according to the school. The suspension was extended for the entire season last month and Austin decided to transfer.
According to the Providence Journal, "No criminal charges were ever filed against either Austin or Bullock and both the Providence Police and Rhode Island State Police told The Journal they haven't investigated any incident involving either player."
Austin helped Imhotep Charter win two Pennsylvania state championships.
He averaged 15 points and 10 rebounds as a senior and was ranked as the No. 39 prospect in the Class of 2013 by Scout.com and 49th by CBS Sports.
Oregon has signed four players for next season but has one more scholarship available.
The Ducks will lose senior center Waverly Austin, forwards Mike Moser and Richard Amardi, and guards Johnathan Loyd and Jason Calliste.