|
|
|
MailTribune.com
  • Planners hold hearing on slimmed-down Cedar Landing

  • The long saga of Cedar Landing has taken another turn.
    • email print
  • The long saga of Cedar Landing has taken another turn.
    The 122-acre development — roughly matching the footprint of the former 18-hole Cedar Links golf course — originally was going to have a little bit of everything, from single- and multifamily residences to commercial and recreational elements.
    But Cedar Landing, unveiled during 2004, was derailed by legal fights, recession and finally financial woes.
    Much of the project property went into foreclosure, with the city acquiring 5.5 acres to develop a park and a few houses being built near Foothill Road. Cedar Investments LLC, led by builder Eric Artner, acquired 94 acres, while Monty Jantzer's family, the original owners, retained about 10 acres.
    The remaining acreage has been developed and sold.
    A less-ambitious iteration of the major east Medford planned unit development returned to the Planning Commission last year, when Cedar Investments asked the city to reduce the site's planning areas from four to three. As part of the changes, Cascade Terrace, originally planned as small-lot housing for seniors, was incorporated into the commercial area.
    The Planning Commission last week held a public hearing on the requested changes to the PUD.
    All in all, the requested changes were "minor," said senior planner Kelly Akin. "The circulation and street layout were slightly redesigned, and a connection was made to the new park area."
    A companion application created 15 lots for single-family units in the northeast section of the development.
    During last week's public hearing, however, Ashland lawyer Chris Hearn, who represents the Jantzers, requested the record remain open, allowing seven more days of comment.
    Akin said Hearn alluded to "wrongful foreclosure" involving the 94 acres Cedar Investments bought from the lender.
    "Any party can request for the record to stay open, where there are seven days for evidence, testimony or arguments to be submitted," Akin said. "At the end of the seven days, the applicant has an opportunity to respond."
    A member of Hearn's staff said he was busy Tuesday afternoon, and a telephone call was not immediately returned.
    The Planning Commission is scheduled to render a decision Feb. 27.
    Reach reporter Greg Stiles at 541-776-4463 or business@mailtribune.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregMTBusiness, friend him on Facebook and read his blog at www.mailtribune.com/EconomicEdge.
Reader Reaction
      • calendar