|
|
|
MailTribune.com
  • Accused murderer Susan Monica shot victims in head, prosecutors say

  • Prosecutors say accused serial killer Susan Monica shot her two victims in their heads and made incriminating statements to investigators about the crimes.
    • email print
      Comment
  • Prosecutors say accused serial killer Susan Monica shot her two victims in their heads and made incriminating statements to investigators about the crimes.
    Jackson County Chief Deputy District Attorney Allan Smith said in court today that Monica's statements were supported by mounds of forensic evidence collected in the case. He did not elaborate.
    Smith's comments were made during a brief hearing this morning in Jackson County Circuit Court, where the 65-year-old Rogue River woman was asking for bail in an attempt to get out of the Jackson County Jail, where she has been held without bail since her Jan. 10 arrest.
    Circuit Court Judge Tim Barnack denied the request.
    Monica is facing two counts of murder and abuse of a corpse as well as one count of identity theft.
    She is accused of murdering Robert Haney, a 56-year-old handyman and tenant, on her rural Rogue River farm in September 2013 and also a still-unidentified other victim in August 2012.
    Monica appeared in person, not by video, at this morning's hearing. She blurted "oh God" when Barnack set a pretrial hearing for September.
    Monica previously sent letters to the Mail Tribune expressing her unhappiness in jail.
    Just hours after the Mail Tribune printed online copies of Monica's letters, defense attorney Christine Herbert filed a motion seeking to ban media access to Monica.
    Barnack said he would take it under advisement.
    — Mark Freeman
Reader Reaction

      calendar