|
|
|
MailTribune.com
  • Donovan among seven cuts on U.S. Cup roster

    Only six players return from 2010 World Cup team
  • STANFORD, Calif. — Landon Donovan, the most accomplished player in American soccer history, won't be going to his fourth World Cup.
    • email print
      Comment
  • STANFORD, Calif. — Landon Donovan, the most accomplished player in American soccer history, won't be going to his fourth World Cup.
    The 32-year-old attacker, who set the national team record for goals and assists while winning five titles in Major League Soccer, was among seven players cut Thursday when coach Jurgen Klinsmann got down to the 23-man limit well before the June 2 deadline.
    "I was looking forward to playing in Brazil and, as you can imagine, I am very disappointed with today's decision," Donovan said in a statement posted on Facebook. "Regardless, I will be cheering on my friends and teammates this summer, and I remain committed to helping grow soccer in the U.S. in the years to come."
    Defenders Brad Evans, Clarence Goodson and Michael Parkhurst also were cut along with midfielders Joe Corona and Maurice Edu, and forward Terrence Boyd.
    Just six players return from the 2010 team: goalkeepers Tim Howard and Brad Guzan; midfielder Michael Bradley; forwards Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey; and defender DaMarcus Beasley, who is bidding to become the first American to play in his fourth World Cup.
    Beasley and Donovan were teammates on the U.S. team that finished fourth in the 1999 FIFA Under-17 World Championship.
    "Landon is my brother. I've known Landon since I was 15. We've been through a lot together," Beasley said. "To not have him there is difficult."
    Klinsmann had announced a preliminary 30-man roster on May 12 and training began two days later at Stanford University's football and soccer stadiums. When they arrived for Thursday's practice, players had no idea this would be cutdown day. Having already watched his team in scrimmages against Stanford last Saturday and the L.A. Galaxy II three days later, Klinsmann felt the impetus to make decisions.
    Donovan, the American record holder with 57 international goals, was gone by the time the roster was announced.
    Donovan was bypassed in favor of 23-year-old Aron Johannsson and 31-year-old Chris Wondolowski, who joined Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey as the forwards.
    Klinsmann also took 18-year-old midfielder Julian Green, who was eligible to play for the U.S. and Germany and only made his national team debut last month.
    Eric Wynalda, a forward for the U.S. at the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups, said Klinsmann's decision will be compared coach Steve Sampson announcing two months before the 1998 tournament that he was dropping captain John Harkes.
Reader Reaction

      calendar