Source: Cowboys releasing backup quarterback Orton
The Dallas Cowboys are releasing Kyle Orton after their backup quarterback missed all the offseason workouts amid reports he was considering retirement.
A person with knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the Cowboys were cutting ties with Orton slightly more than a week before the start of training camp. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not announced the decision.
The 31-year-old Orton started the finale last year after Tony Romo injured his back a week earlier. The Cowboys lost to Philadelphia, their third straight season-ending defeat against an NFC East rival with a playoff berth on the line.
The new backup is likely to be Brandon Weeden. Cleveland's first-round draft pick in 2012.
MINNEAPOLIS — Former Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe intends to sue the team over allegations of anti-gay conduct by a coach, his lawyer said Tuesday.
Lawyer Clayton Halunen said they'll seek a copy of the Vikings' internal investigation and make it public if they can. They accused the Vikings of reneging on a pledge to release the report, which they believe corroborates Kluwe's claims.
The Vikings hired two outside lawyers to examine Kluwe's claims that special teams coordinator Mike Priefer used slurs and taunts to try to quash Kluwe's outspoken support for gay marriage. Priefer denied the allegations. Kluwe was cut in May 2013 after eight seasons with the Vikings.
Kluwe said keeping the report private won't help prevent workplace discrimination. The investigation was conducted by former Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Eric Magnuson and former U.S. Justice Department trial attorney Chris Madel.
"I think it's just important that everyone is able to see what's there," he said. "Yeah, it'll probably hurt. These things always do. But the only way we're ever going to fix it is if we acknowledge that."
The Vikings issued a statement denying they told Halunen during a meeting Monday that they won't release the report. The team said both sides will meet again Thursday to discuss "issues relating to the investigation." Halunen said they'd still like to resolve the dispute out of court.
Top-seeded Wozniacki easily advances in Istanbul
ISTANBUL — Top-seeded Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark easily advanced to the second round of the Istanbul Cup, defeating Belinda Bencic of Switzerland 6-0, 6-0 Tuesday.
Second-seeded Roberta Vinci of Italy also won comfortably, beating Anna Tatishvili of the United States 6-2, 6-2 at the Koza World of Sport Complex.
Ana Konjuh of Croatia needed three sets to oust fifth-seeded Magdalena Rybarikova of Slovakia 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. The hardcourt Istanbul Cup has rejoined the WTA calendar after a three-year break during which time the Turkish city hosted the WTA finals.
Compiled from wire reports