|
|
|
MailTribune.com
  • SPORTS DIGEST

  • Giants pitcher Cain to meet with elbow specialist
    • email print
  • Giants pitcher Cain to meet with elbow specialist
    SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco Giants right-hander Matt Cain plans to meet with specialist Dr. James Andrews this week to get a second opinion on his injured elbow.
    Cain flew to Florida on Tuesday where he will be examined by Andrews. Cain, who has been on the disabled list since July 21 due to inflammation in his pitching elbow, will rejoin the team in New York on Friday.
    San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said that having Cain get evaluated by Andrews is a precautionary move. He added that surgery has not yet been discussed.
    Cain (2-7) has struggled all season. The one-time ace has a 4.18 ERA and has not pitched since July 9 when he went six innings to beat the Oakland Athletics.
    The Giants last week acquired pitcher Jake Peavy from Boston for two minor league prospects.
    BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A lawyer says a Connecticut minor league baseball player hit by former major leaguer Jose Offerman in a 2007 baseball bat attack has won nearly $1 million in a lawsuit.
    A jury Tuesday awarded $940,000 to Bridgeport Bluefish catcher Johnathan Nathans, who wanted $4.8 million. Nathans' lawyer Josh Koskoff says he's still affected by a head injury he suffered in the attack.
    Offerman's lawyer Frank Riccio II says the jury found Offerman committed an assault but not battery. He says he may challenge the award.
    Griffin has fracture in back, will miss FIBA World Cup
    It appears the reason Clippers forward Blake Griffin declined last week to participate in Team USA's basketball training camp is because of a back injury and not because he wanted to rest for the upcoming season.
    Griffin has a small fracture in his back that will require rest but not surgery, and that was the reason why he couldn't make the training camp in Las Vegas that started Monday and won't be able to play in the FIBA World Cup that starts next month.
    The Clippers have said Griffin's injury is not considered serious.
    NASCAR suspends Hamlin crew chief Grubb 6 races
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. — NASCAR suspended Denny Hamlin's crew chief and car chief on Tuesday for six races because the Joe Gibbs Racing entry failed inspection following his third-place finish at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
    Darian Grubb and Wesley Sherrill were both suspended through the Sept. 6 race at Richmond. They are not eligible to return until the opening race for the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship, Sept. 14 at Chicago.
    Grubb was also fined $125,000.
    Hamlin and team owner Joe Gibbs were both also docked 75 points in the driver and owner standings. It dropped Hamlin from 11th to 21st in the Sprint Cup standings. But, as a race winner already this season, Hamlin is likely guaranteed a spot in the 16-driver Chase field.
    Hamlin's car failed post-race inspection Sunday because NASCAR said it found issues with several of the covers in the rear firewall of the driver compartment. Loose or missing covers could vent the driver compartment and create more downforce for the car.
    Compiled from wire reports
Reader Reaction

      calendar