Applegate Valley

  • feed
Interactive map loading...
Search Traffic Clear Markers

Latest Applegate Valley News

About Applegate Valley

Ruch is the hub of this rural area, but the little community of Applegate also has a strong identity of its own. The area is unincorporated, but rife with community groups. Ruch is named after Fredolin “Fritz” Ruch, who settled in the area in about 1870. Although he and his wife each committed suicide in 1875, children remained in the area with foster families and their youngest son, Casper, eventually established a store and post office in the area in 1897. Applegate, a community along the river of the same name, has a school that is part of the Three Rivers School District and a Jackson County library branch. The river and surrounding region takes its name from prominent Oregon pioneers Jesse, Lindsay and Charles Applegate. Lindsay and Jesse explored Southern Oregon in 1846 and Lindsay returned in 1848 enroute to mines in California and prospected in the river, which was then named in his honor. A post office with the Applegate name was established in 1858.

Community Links:

Calendar

Photo Galleries

See more staff photos HERE

COUPON OF THE WEEK


Ads by Google