December 10, 1932 - January 25, 2011

Ann Moore, of Medford, Ore., an early childhood educator and volunteer in many community organizations, died at her home on January 25, 2011, from complications of multiple myeloma. Born Genevieve Ann Williamson, in Honolulu, then the territory of Hawaii, Ann witnessed the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. Educated in island schools and a graduate of Punaho Island School, she cherished her roots and returned with family every five years for reunions of the class of 1951.

At Oregon State College, now OSU, she studied Home Economics and worked as a writer and editor for the campus daily newspaper, there she met her husband, Tam Moore. Ann was secretary of her Class of 1955, and a member of Phi Kappa Phi academic honor society. After graduation she worked in television in Eureka, California, where she and Tam were married Feb. 8, 1958. They have three children: James, a political scientist and media commentator of Portland; William, a sculptor and artist of Pittsboro, N.C.; and Patricia, a historian and landscape educator of Eugene. There are two grandchildren in Pittsboro, Hudson Elizabeth Moore and Tyler Everett Moore.

The family lived in Germany during Tam's military duty in the 1960s, and made their home in Santa Rosa, Calif., while he did a tour in Vietnam. They moved to Medford in 1967 and since then have lived in the same house, beneath a canopy of oak trees.

Ann began her career as an early childhood educator in 1972 at Westminster Cooperative Preschool, first as a teacher, then as co-director. She retired in 1995. In later years, including when she was repeatedly hospitalized during her battle with myeloma, many former students identified themselves and shared their life stories with Ann. Those conversations brought her great joy. Immediately following retirement, she spent several years as a Court Appointed Special Counsel, advocating for children in foster care.

Ann was active in American Association of University Women, served a term as president, and volunteered for numerous other jobs including working at the AAUW food booth at the Britt Children's Festival. In her retirement she embraced local history with a passion, serving as a trustee of Southern Oregon Historical Society. At her death she was a director of the SOHS Foundation and member of the Gold Digger's Guild, a fundraising group. Among her special interests was development of historic Hanley Farm as a living history museum. She enjoyed giving tours of the farm house. She gave countless hours to SOHS over the years, including serving as a research volunteer at the SOHS reference library. She served as Jackson County co-chairman of the Applegate Trail Sesquicentennial celebration in 1996.

For decades Ann served in leadership positions at Westminster Presbyterian Church, most recently as a member of the committee that oversees operation of the church preschool. Ann was an active member of the choir. She served the regional Presbyterian Church as a member of its Committee on Ministry, counseling congregations and clergy and helping during transitions in pastoral leadership. Her active service continued through December.

Ann's love of music included three decades of support for the Britt Music Festival. The Moore home hosted classical musicians over those years, creating an extended family which shared many fine meals, fellowship, and an abundance of music. Until last year, Ann was an active volunteer usher at Britt. She was a member of Chapter CG, P.E.O.

Ann made friends wherever she went. She loved to travel to see friends across the country. But she loved best coming home to her families at home, in her church, in all her organizations. Seeing and talking to so many of those friends during her illness brought her peace

A memorial service is scheduled at 3:00 p.m., Sunday, January 30, 2011, at Westminster Presbyterian Church. No flowers, please. Memorial contributions may be sent Westminster Presbyterian Church, 2000 Oakwood, Medford,OR 97504, or to Southern Oregon Historical Society, 106 N. Central, Medford, OR 97501.