A fire that started when a spark reached gas from a leaky fuel pump destroyed a boat, car and garage and damaged a home in the Oak Knoll neighborhood this afternoon, Ashland Fire & Rescue officials said.

A fire that started when a spark reached gas from a leaky fuel pump destroyed a boat, car and garage and damaged a home in the Oak Knoll neighborhood this afternoon, Ashland Fire & Rescue officials said.

No one was injured in the fire, which started in the garage and spread into the full length of the attic at 684 Oak Knoll Drive, said Chris Chambers, AFR spokesman. The rest of the house suffered significant smoke damage, Chambers said.

Homeowner Rodney Hansen, 76, said he and his brother-in-law were priming a boat fuel pump that malfunctioned and began spurting gasoline in the garage. When they unplugged a battery to the pump, it sparked, igniting the fuel, he said.

The two men and Hansen's wife, Roberta, 74, escaped unharmed.

Five engines, two from AFR and three from Jackson County Fire District No. 5, and 16 firefighters responded to the fire, knocking it down within minutes and keeping it from spreading to other homes.

There was no immediate estimate of damages, Chambers said. The Hansens have insurance and plan to stay with relatives.

— Sam Wheeler