Updated 9:40 a.m. Medford Fire and Rescue crews quickly extinguished a patio fire at 612 S. Ivy St. this morning.

The fire was reported at 8:46 a.m. and crews arrived to find smoke pouring from the roof at several spots, but no flames visible. The fire was burning on a patio behind the home and was beginning to lick into the home and attic, fire officials said.

The patio and awning were heavily damaged and the flames and smoke damaged the inside of the home, too.

A propane barbecue was on the patio and the tanks vented gas as they heated up, filling the air with a lingering smell of gas. Firefighters said the tanks are designed to do this to prevent explosions.

The fire was extinguished in minutes. Fire crews, power-company crews and Medford police who responded remain on scene.

Ivy and 12th streets were closed to traffic.