May 6, 1945 - June 23, 2016
George R. Halvorsen passed away peacefully June 23, 2016 in Portland, Ore. George was born May 6, 1945 in St. Paul, Minn. to Joy and Lucy Halvorsen. He graduated from James J. Hill High School in 1963. Prior to graduation, he joined the U.S. Army Reserve and left for basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. shortly after graduation. On October 10, 1964 George married his high school sweetheart, Barbara.
In 1965 George began his career with the 3M company in St. Paul, Minn. A few years later he was given the opportunity to enter an engineering program through 3M. George spent the next six years in the program, working as an assistant engineer and completing the program in 1974 as a project engineer. In 1978 George accepted a position in New Ulm, Minn. as a resident engineer and in 1986, he accepted a supervisory position at 3M in White City, Ore. During his tenure at the White City facility, he held several positions before retiring in 2004.
George believed in giving back to his family, church, workplace, and community. He was active in the Knights of Columbus, the American Red Cross, and Habitat for Humanity for many years. After his retirement, George enjoyed showing his 1970 Chevrolet Impala with the Rogue Valley Old Timer Car Club and traveling in his motorhome with his family and the SO Sam Chapter.
George is survived by his devoted wife of 51 years, Barbara; his children, Julie (Ted) Stallsworth, Pam (Scott) Clarke, and Jon (Tracy) Halvorsen; eight grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and his sister, Sonya (Raymond) Murray of Minnesota.
George was buried at Mt. Calvary Cemetery, Portland, Ore. June 29, 2016 following a Mass at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Beaverton, Ore. A celebration of life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, October 8, 2016 at Knights of Columbus Hall, 772 Black Oak Drive, Medford, Ore. A lunch will be served following the service. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in George's honor to Rogue Valley Habitat for Humanity, P.O. Box 688, Medford, Ore. 97501.