A family left their apartment in Ashland for a few minutes Sunday afternoon and returned to a fire that started on the stove.

"There was thick black smoke in the apartment with a fire in the kitchen," said Batallion Chief Matt Freiheit of Ashland Fire & Rescue.

Firefighters were able to rescue the dogs from the apartment, at 947 Main St., and no injuries were reported, Freiheit said.

The apartment had significant smoke and heat damage in the kitchen area, and the tenants were relocated, Freiheit said. The call came in at 2:11 p.m and firefighters were on the scene by 2:14 p.m.

"A few more minutes and it would have been a significant fire," he said.