A bean bag chair stored next to an electric wall heater caused a Monday evening house fire in east Medford that damaged a bedroom.

At 5 p.m., Medford Fire-Rescue responded to a single-family home at 2925 Winter Nell Circle with four engines. The first units on scene spotted light smoke coming from the structure. All occupants had made it outside safely.

As firefighters prepared to extinguish the fire, a family dog dashed back inside. He was later found in his kennel, safe and uninjured.

The home is valued at $200,000 and sustained about $8,000 in damage, according to fire officials.