fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

TJs have problems stringing their wins

BOISE -- The Southern Oregon Timberjacks' quest for back-to-back wins for the first in two weeks went nowhere.

Southern Oregon last won two straight July 31 and Aug. — against Spokane. Since then the Timberjacks are 3-6, including 9-2 setback Saturday night to the Boise Hawks at Memorial Stadium.

While Boise continued its drive up the Northwest League's North Division standings, the Hawks threw another roadblock in the Timberjacks efforts to remain atop the Southern Division.

The Hawk remained — games behind Northern pace-setter Spokane, while the Timberjacks' lead over Portland shrank to two games when the Rockies defeated Yakima 6-3.

The Timberjacks scored two runs on three hits and a walk in the first inning, then went into sleep mode at the plate the balance of the evening.

Boise starting pitcher John Lackey, who ranks among the NWL's ERA and strikeout leaders, overcame a wobbly first inning to post his fifth win in six decisions. He struck out six, walked four and doused the Timberjacks' only other threat in the third inning when he got Josh Hochgesang to fly out right field for the third out with runners at first and second.

Lackey left with a 6-2 lead after six innings and relievers Palmer Ebanks, Zach Diaz and Craig Glysch were equally as effective.

From the fifth through the eighth innings, the Hawks retired 10 Southern Oregon batters in a row before Matt Howe poked a base hit to center off Diaz.

Southern Oregon scored twice in the first when Carlos Rosario walked, rode Matt Forbes' triple to right home and Mike Lockwood followed with a base hit to score Forbes.

Boise got one run back in the bottom of the first and then surged into the lead with four runs in the second inning. The Hawks paraded eight hitters to the plate, collected five hits and took advantage of two wild pitches in the rally. Casey Kelley, Tom Gregorio and Scott Bikowski all doubled in the uprising.

GW Keller, who was hit by a pitch on top of the spine in the eighth inning of Friday's win over Portland, stayed in Medford and will likely miss the five-game series with a stiff neck.

Catcher Gerald Laird, who was struck by a foul ball that bruised his right forearm Friday, sat out the game.